Refocus That Please - by Mike Griffith
Honorable Mention My Charleston Home Suzanne Hughes
Honorable Mention Cold Creek Manor Steve Hughes
Honorable Mention Flowered Gate Suzanne Hughes
Honorable Mention Any Comments? Steve Hughes
Honorable Mention War Aftermath Bill Moll
3D Camera exhibitions:
Last month we discussed cameras from the 1950s and 1960s. I brought in a plethora of cameras to show, along with some printed information about the cameras. Larry, I and others commented on costs, characteristics and other features. The session was successful, with a couple exceptions. I had not used all of the cameras and couldn’t give much information on several, I didn’t have any handouts of the information on the cameras, and there really wasn’t enough time to cover that many cameras.
This month, we will try to correct those issues. We will only cover 35 mm film cameras, saving the digital cameras until December, to allow more time per camera. Actual users will bring in the cameras, so they will be able to make better comments on the cameras. I may or may not have handouts. The references which I used were The Technical Page by Charles A. Piper, available from the Stereo Club of Southern California, and Stereo Cameras Since 1930 by Werner Weiser, available at better bookstores everywhere.
Cameras which we would like to cover are RBT, Nimslo, Techno-Nimslo, FED, beamsplitters and?? There are several varieties of the RBT and FED, so bring yours in – this is a club session since I have no FEDs or RBTs.
is an opportunity to see new View-Master reels projected. We will have the latest from Mike Kaplan, the
In addition, during the break in the View-Master projection, I will discuss in some VM and Meopta cameras and cutters. Rumor has it that Cynthia Morton Chapman will fly in for a demonstration of VM mounting. Otherwise, I will try to cut and mount a reel to project.
Fest was held on
One of my big learnings was how much interest and enthusiasm children can have for 3D. One boy spent at least an hour at the exhibit looking at every thing in detail. After looking through about 40 medium format slides in the viewer, he looked at Ted and said "your stuff is really tight". The video game generation can appreciate good 3D.
We also learned something about how to schedule and advertise the event. For maximum attendance, don't schedule on a nice football Saturday in October! Secondly, the newspaper calendars didn't pull in any people. Our draw came from the library flow, Internet discussion groups, Marilyn’s posters at ACA, shop posters and Freeview. Participants included Bert Arps, Marilyn Morton, Bill and Krys Walton, Steve and Suzanne Hughes, Bill Moll, Mike Griffith, Larry and Julia Moor, Huck DeVenzio, Robert Dallas, Ted Baskin, Peter Bahouth, Les Hayward, Debbie and Al Hess, Don Handy, Bonnie Jean Woolger, plus the general public.
· 3D Slides as Art – Peter Bahouth stereo slides showing the stereo image as an art form
· Basic Training – Images from Bill Walton’s book, Back To Basics
· Pre-Olympic Trials – A group of images in “over and under” format by Ken Kistner
· Western Landscapes - Stereo card and large format images by David Lee
· Southern History in 3D – Showing Civil War Atlanta, the Atlanta Road Race of 1909 and Atlanta – Then and Now [Mike Griffith]
· Digital Exchange Views – A collection of images presented in a modern, easy to produce format [Suzanne Hughes]
· American Photographic Exchange Club III – Traditional stereo cards of modern stereo photographers [Steve Hughes]
· Lenticulars – A wide variety of lenticulars, both commercial and artistic [Huck DeVenziio]
· Antique Tissue Stereo Cards – A collection of tissues that change when illuminated from behind [Bill Moll]
· Medium format slides and equipment – Ted Baskin shared the world of medium format 3D
· Slide bar 3D – Bert Arps brought the slide bar setup used for some of his great landscapes
· Twinned digital – Don Handy displayed his twin digital rig with laser sights
Stereo Theater 3D Slide Shows:
· Sgt. Pepper’s – Larry Moor’s artistic interpretation
· Stereo Card Making – How to make your own stereo cards using simple tools and materials [Steve Hughes]
· Slide Mounting – How to mount 3D slides including the use of modern plastic mounts and tools [Steve Hughes]
· 3D Antique Road Show – 3D images explained and valued [Mike Griffith]
photo by Suzanne Hughes photo by Suzanne Hughes photo by Bill Moll